This update (v0.8.0) focuses on the game’s early experience for new players.
Quick Start Tutorial
The new “Quick Start” Tutorial is an attempt at 3 things:
- Get new players into the actual game as quick as possible
- … while making sure they have a basic framework in place for understanding/playing the game
- … and hopefully without being too boring.
It’s made up of a few explanations interspersed with practice levels — some of which provide guidance to players as necessary based on how they’re playing. e.g. If the tutorial notices that a player isn’t swinging their sword, it’ll gently remind them of the control/action.
Also, throughout the game, the control/action text is now shown correctly for each individual player’s (possibly custom) control mappings.
New Experimental Levels
* Experimental = W.I.P.
- New Characters — Ticket, Bully, and Toad (Thanks to goggleOgler for Ticket and Bully concepts!)
- Bully and Toad are unlockable characters
- Random Level Select (Thanks Blazecc for the idea!)
- Additionally, you can choose which levels will be in the random-selection-set by highlighting the Random button and pressing Menu/Options
- Refined sword swinging
- Canceling a sword-swing now acts as kinda a pump-fake (“canceling” can be turned on in the control mapping section)
- Swinging rapidly many times in a short period will lead to temporary “exhaustion” — a slower rate of swinging
- You can get the strongest sword swing by releasing within 0.5 seconds of the charging-sword animation reaching its back-most position
- New song: Luwuk Logic Bomb
- Options menu for Practice Mode
- Smoother/more-efficient camera movement in Race Mode
- Additional sounds
- Music continues (doesn’t reset) through Race Mode restarts
- Revised limbo behavior — killing a stunned character while in limbo will cause revive
- Character Select: pressing Options/Menu while in a READY state will kick immediately out to the non-ready state with Options menu shown (previously this button press would be ignored)
- Fixed stuck-on-pillars in Roam level (thanks Blazecc)
- Fixed issue where axisElements (L2, R2, triggers, etc) couldn’t be assigned to jump/dash actions (thanks Blazecc)
- Fixed where cannon could kill players for 1 frame after the cannon was visually gone from the scene
Also — thanks Chaddog for feedback on the Steam controller!